Smart Snacks in School Guidelines
The new USDA Snack Standards for schools, which is required by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, now ensures students across the country receive nutritious & healthy foods during the school day.USDA's Nutrition Standards for any food sold in schools must meet the following criteria:
- Be a whole grain-rich grain product; or
- Have the first ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product, or a protein food; or
- Be a combination food that contains at least 1/4 cup of fruit and/or vegetable;
- Snack Item Calorie Limit: ≤200 calories
- Snack Item Sodium Limit: ≤200 mg.
- Snack Item Fat Limit: ≤35% of calories
- Snack Item Sugar Limit: ≤35% of weight from total sugars
- Nature Valley Crisps - Cinnamon Flavor - 1.2 oz. Bag
- Nature Valley Crisps - Chocolate Chip Flavor - 1.2 oz. Bag
- Whole Grain Belly Bears Cinnamon Graham Crackers - 1 oz. Bag
- Readi-Bake Whole Grain Jungle Crackers - 1 oz. Bag
- Dots Vanilla Graham Crackers - 1 oz. Bag
- Simply Chex Snack Mix - Cheddar Flavor - 0.92 oz. Bag
- Simply Chex Snack Mix - Strawberry Yogurt Flavor - 1.03 oz. Bag
- Goldfish Baked Whole Grain - Cheddar Flavor - 0.75 oz. Bag
Is the snack you're serving USDA Smart Snack compliant? Use the Smart Snack Calculator below provided by Alliance for a Healthier Generation to be certain you're in compliance.
SMART SNACKS CALCULATOR , CLICK HERE!